Friday, June 3, 2016

And Now I'm Here

One year ago, I completed my second year of teaching and started my classes at the University of North Texas pursuing a Masters of Library Science. I was looking forward to learning new things and exploring a new aspect of education. As someone who has always been fascinated by books, I was excited to find that there was a career path that allowed me to incorporate my love of reading. After teaching for two years I felt like my passion for books was not able to play as large a part in my classroom as I wanted it to. I thought that a library could be an outlet for my creativity and desire to be a true life-long learner. Library Science was a way to broaden the options for my future that kept me working with students and fellow educators.

That summer I took three classes, which, looking back, was a bit much. But I made it through and realized that this degree could provide me with future opportunities that may eventually take me out of the world of education. Since my working experience has always been with children and young teens, I knew that I needed to incorporate some classes that exposed me to other types of libraries. 

This led me to thinking about my amazing summer at the Bader International Study Centre in Herstmonceux, England. Although I was an education major, I took English History, British Studies, and even a class focusing on London's Olympic Games in 2012. Studying in a castle, yes, a castle, was unbelievable! I knew that if there was any way to study abroad for my masters program, I needed to find it! I wasn't extremely creative in the way I went about it. I believe that I literally typed "Library Science study abroad England" into Google. But it worked! I stumbled upon the British Studies Program at the University of Southern Mississippi.  This program would be a way to see a different part of England than my last study abroad adventure, but I would still get to be in a place that I loved.

Later that summer I picked up my parents from the airport and, according to my mom, spent the entire drive to their house talking about the program. In the months to follow, I sorted out the details of adding the program to my degree plan, getting the courses approved, and organizing my finances. Since then, I have been in a constant state of anticipation.

So here I am, at the airport, waiting for my flight to London! I have planned and organized to my heart's content, and now I am ready to be in one of the greatest cities in the world, learning and exploring. I am extremely excited and very lucky to be able to study the famous libraries of the UK! As I travel, I will be posting about the literary, historical, and unique places I hope to see. These posts will allow you to follow along as I'm bookin' it through the UK!

-Ciara

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you are getting to go! Travel safe and I'll see you in August!

    ReplyDelete